Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18, 2008

Well, back to shoot some video of The Whistlestop at their last scheduled mix day at Overdub Lane. Since there's not a lot of drama going on in a mix session, at least not at this one, it turned out to be a good time to do some sit-down interviews with Rob, Mike and Pee Wee in the studio while John Plymale laid out some mixes.

Decided to try just having Dallas (my assistant editor/camera/jack of all trades) take some stills while we all sat around a mic and talked. It really seemed to help everyone loosen up, because I only had 3 or 4 questions, and I got about 45 minutes of audio to go through. Not too happy with the stills because of the low light, and we'll see how the shutter sound came through on the mic, but content-wise, it was a good way to go. If the stills aren't really useable, I'll just bump the audio underneath other studio footage, and throw up a title for whoever's talking.

This Thursday should be great. Dallas and I are handling video coverage of the Whistlestop's CD release party (well, I think that's changed, since the mix isn't quite done) at Tir Na Nog, downtown. Going all out even though it's a low-budget project. Using up my Drawbridge Media favors to borrow 2 cameras and 2 mics and an audio disc recorder for the venture. I think I'll owe Kevin (owner) a couple of stints as a camera operator after this.

The Whistlestop CD is really going to be incredible. Just the temp mixes I got to listen to really blew me away. Can't wait.





No comments: